Transportation exists in many forms. In short, transportation moves people or goods from one place to another. Some forms of transportation travel by water or land while others move through the skies. Today, a mode of transportation must be fast and efficient in order to meet the needs of our busy society.
History of Transportation
People have always pursued better, faster ways to travel from one location to another. Consequently, the history of transportation is full of exciting discoveries and innovations. The history of transportation begins with a person using his or her own feet to travel to a destination. Later, people began to travel on horseback and by wagon. In the decades to follow, imaginative inventors would design ships, trains, airplanes, cars, and other modes of transportation that would allow for faster, safer travel.
- Transportation History: The history of transportation is conveyed through explanations and images.
- The Wright Brothers: Read an account that includes interesting details regarding flight and the Wright brothers.
- Progress in Transportation: Learn about how human transportation has changed and improved through the years.
- Facts on the Wright Brothers: Find information on the lives of the Wright brothers along with descriptions of their flying inventions.
- Profile of a Famous Ship: Discover information about the Mayflower along with a diagram of the famous ship.
- A Look at One County’s Transportation History: Learn about the various types of transportation in the history of one county.
- Women’s Contributions to Transportation History: Find profiles of several women and their contributions to the world of transportation.
Modes of Transportation
Nowadays, many types of transportation make travel fast and convenient. For instance, a person as well as his or her luggage can be transported by airplane to another country in a matter of hours. Furthermore, an important package can travel by air and arrive at its destination a short time later. In addition, a person has the opportunity to travel the world in comfort via cruise ships. Busses and cars are two other modes of transportation that provide people with a way to travel short or long distances.
- The Flight of an Airplane: Find out how an airplane flies with this detailed explanation.
- The Power of Steam: Learn about some types of transportation powered by steam including the locomotive and the steam ship.
- A Collection of Busses: Discover more about the history of transportation by bus.
- A Profile of the Automobile: Checkout this intriguing look at the history of the automobile that includes photos.
- A Car Puzzle: Try to fit the parts of this car together to complete the puzzle.
- Profile of the Helicopter: Read about the history of the helicopter.
Transportation and Trade
Improvements in transportation have provided a safe way to move valuable goods. For instance, ships transport goods across oceans to different countries. Furthermore, semi trucks move goods back and forth across our country. Certainly, transportation plays an important role in successful trade.
- Ships and Trade: Learn about the significant role that ships played in trade in 18th century America.
- Transportation and its Influence on Trade: Read about how improvements in transportation influenced the world of trade.
- Information on Semi Trucks: Checkout the list of things that semi trucks transport along with other interesting facts.
- Trains and Trade: Find out the important role of trains in trade and history.
Transportation and Energy
The various modes of transportation could not function without a source of energy. For instance, cars and airplanes need energy, or fuel, to operate. Today, people are interested in new types of energy that are safer for the environment. We continue to search for more types of environmentally friendly energy to power our transportation.
- Oil and Transportation: With the help of a timeline of energy, learn about the connection between oil and cars. Also, find information on several other types of energy as well as puzzles and activities.
- An Energy Game: Play a game that involves transportation as well as making choices concerning energy use.
People are fortunate to have a variety of convenient ways to travel. However, there are safety rules to keep in mind when using any type of transportation. For instance, children on school busses must obey the rules set by the school in order to stay safe. In short, a traveler using any mode of transportation has a responsibility to obey safety rules to keep themselves and fellow passengers safe.
- Boating Safety: Learn all about safe boating and try some of the fun activities such as a word search that relates to boating.
- Transportation Safety Activities for Kids: Find a selection of activities related to transportation safety.
- Traffic Safety: Checkout information for kids regarding traffic safety that includes several games.
- Bus Safety for Kids: Discover rules for keeping safe while traveling by bus.
- Tips for Safe Travel in a Car or Bus: Read some tips on how to travel safely in a car or a bus.
- Safety Rules for Bicycles: Learn about some safety rules for a familiar mode of transportation, the bicycle.
Transportation innovations have provided the average person with the opportunity to travel and explore the world. Whether a person is traveling to another country or just across town, transportation plays an important role in all of our lives.