7 iPhone Apps No Driver Should Be Without
There's no doubt about it, cell phones distract drivers. But the very thing that has been known to cause accidents can also make you a safer, smarter driver. When used properly, iPhone apps can navigate you to your destination, keep you alert while driving, and help you avoid traffic jams by recommending alternative routes. Why pull over to study a map or drive around aimlessly looking for a gas station if your phone can do the work for you? Check out these seven iPhone apps no driver should be without.
- DriveSafe.ly: Can't fight the urge to text and drive? Then you need the DriveSafe.ly iPhone app, which reads your SMS text messages, email messages, Facebook chat messages, and tweets aloud and lets you respond orally so you can keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel. DriveSafe.ly also gives drivers the option to adjust read speed and speed of text to speech voice, as well as altering the speech voices to male or female. Not only is this app incredibly convenient, but it could also save your life one day.
- GasBuddy: GasBuddy is a life-saver when you're on the road and need to find the nearest and cheapest gas stations. This simple and user-friendly app gives you the exact price and distance to nearby gas stations, so you can fill up quickly without breaking the bank at the pump. GasBuddy's updated version has a new and improved map and storage of past searches to make your next gas stop even easier.
- TomTom: Are you directionally challenged? Don't fret, iPhone's TomTom app is here to help! TomTom's comprehensive navigation app evaluates routes based on traffic speeds, time of day, and road changes, and gives directions through voice control. You can also sync TomTom to your Facebook to search social events and plan your route faster. The most recent version of the TomTom app comes with fixed speed cameras and an up-to-date map.
- Pandora Radio: No driver should be without good music. Listening to the local radio can get pretty boring, and switching CDs or fiddling with your iPod is not much safer. Enter, Pandora Radio. If you haven't yet jumped on the Pandora bandwagon, it's time to do so now! Pandora is a free personalized radio that lets you choose the songs and stations that you love, while introducing you to new music that fits your preferences. It's fun, easy-to-use, and makes driving to work a lot more enjoyable.
- iWrecked: All drivers should have a plan in place if an accident occurs, and iWrecked may just be your saving grace. This award-winning app provides helpful auto accident assistance that lets you log the details of a wreck and the other driver's information in one easy-to-find place. With iWrecked, you can take an endless amount of photos of the accident and damage, as well as create a thorough PDF accident report that can be sent directly to your insurance company. Don't leave home without it!
- RepairPal: RepairPal is an award-winning auto repair and maintenance service app that helps drivers estimate the fairest price for repairs and locate reliable and highly recommended auto shops in your area. RepairPal also keeps track of repairs and maintenance check-ups to keep you on top of your car's needs. Best of all, the app provides excellent roadside assistance that lets you pay as needed and not all year round.
- Beat the Traffic: Beat the Traffic does what its name says and so much more. This handy app helps you find the quickest route to your destination by analyzing traffic conditions, average speeds, road work, and traffic delays. Beat the Traffic alerts drivers of traffic jams and road delays and even lets you view real-time traffic camera images of your city. Before you hit the road to work, check out Beat the Traffic to make your commute hassle-free.